Taking Care of Heart and Mind

Chilling Out with an Old Friend
People whose work involves arduous mental activity or have to keep a tight grip on their emotions (that's most of us) know that at the end of the day, our brains are numb from work and empty of creative content. Good news comes from a team of researchers who learned that watching a re-run of a favorite TV show gives a good dose of decompression and brings back a good mood. It's like hanging out with an old friend. You know the characters, know what is about to happen and the anticipation of the laugh starts urging you to smile. In fact, they said it was more beneficial than jogging to some. This is the reason why I watch an hour's worth The Big Bang Theory when I get home. After a full day of prying new content out of my head and writing about it, my brain needs a break. And my body needs the laugh. This is health news I can certainly use.
The Happiness Quotient
I have read enough blogs about how to be happy, stay happy and make others happy. But what works for others may not work for me and you. The things that make me happy are simple and most people probably identify with them.
• I stay connected with family and friends through every possible communication medium I have.
• I eat what I want and exercise when I want.
• I procrastinate sometimes. Okay, a lot of the time. Why stress over something when I get think about it for 10 minutes and then work on it.
• I have a job I like and enjoy my work. It helps that it pays pretty well.
• I donate time and money to causes I believe in.
• I do not think material wealth will make happy. But it sure would help some days.
• Life is not perfect is neither is anyone else. Thank God!
Let These Stressful Incidents Blow Off Your Shoulder
• Someone cuts you off in traffic. Maybe they are late for work or have to go to the bathroom really badly.
• People who interrupt in meetings and bully everyone by interrupting. Recognize the immature behavior and let it pass.
• You're late meeting someone. There are two choices here: one - understand it's better to get there late and not in an accident or two - put the pedal to the metal and risk your life and limbs and others on the road to get there as soon as possible. Never mind that $400 speeding ticket and the cop who thinks you have a bad attitude.
• Someone is in the Express check out line with more than 10 items. Take your items to the customer service desk and check out there. You'll get out of the store easier.
Taking care of your heart and mind will free you to help someone else take care of theirs.
I think I'll watch a rerun of Batman now.
I'm a freelance writer who enjoys writing about lifestyle and wellness topics. Read more of my work here.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Becky_Daughtry

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7507945

No comments:

Post a Comment